· 

Wedding anniversary nr. 1 in Darwin!

Leo and us @ Crocosaurus Cove
Leo and us @ Crocosaurus Cove

The day arrived where we celebrated our very first wedding anniversary! We started off with a visit to Crocosaurus cove, home to some giant saltwater crocodiles, reptiles and fish. I did hope for it to be bigger, so in my opinion it wasn’t fully worth the 35$ entrance fee and I was glad I didn’t decide on cage diving either. We saw a couple of people doing it, but 90% of the time they’re just looking to a croc who’s chilling (cuz other than the killing, that’s what they do) and the other 10% the guides are trying to stir up the croc with a piece of food on a stick, that is when they’re not too busy discussing each others last nights of course. I was however quite impressed how gigantic crocodiles can be as I can never truly imagine an animal’s size until I saw it. So at least I know when I ever come across a hard scaly skin it won’t be my luckiest day. 

Snoring are we?
Snoring are we?
Mindil Beach Markets
Mindil Beach Markets

After that we decided it was time for a bit chill-out time so we headed to the Darwin Waterfront to hang around at the lagoon, we were lucky too as there was a girl singing modern covers to complete the picture! We enjoyed some 7 dollar ice creams before hitting the bus towards the famous Mindil beach markets. Now, I’m not sure if we, Europeans, are naturally used to awesome & cosy markets but the “famous” markets here make me think the answer is ‘Yes’ (and probably the fact that every European village/city does a better job having a town centre than cities here reinforces that feeling). I absolutely love food truck markets and other events like that, I’m not lying when I say I’m always the first one to try the hipster new coffees, drinks and other treats, the bigger (and usually the unhealthier) the better! But here it pretty much always comes down to the same thing: fried fish and Asian food. Or would it be because we have alcohol in our markets? ;) I’m not sure! I like the markets but I’ll just have to lower my expectations a bit I guess. 

Dinner at Wharf One
Dinner at Wharf One

So we quite quickly grabbed a bus back to the city centre to enjoy the last part of our celebration day, dinner by the lagoon! We went to a lovely restaurant called Wharf One, seated next to the water this was pretty romantic, if it weren't for my buttocks drowning in their own sweat (their natural reaction to leather seats in temperatures over 30, apologies for that unappealing info). Anyway, the food was great but expensive so with a lengthy bill we concluded our lovely day! Buuuut as the buses don’t drive here in the evenings we had to take a cab to get home, which cost us another 20$, that little counting thingy charged us 10 cents per 4 seconds! 

 

To summarize our day: expensive, gigantic crocs, chill, overrated markets, good food and some more expensive to emphasize that part :)

Write a comment

Comments: 0